Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
382 positive prints, 5 1/4" x 4" to 8 3/4" x 6 1/2", of photographs made by Mena, Ark, commercial photographer Bert Hiltebrand, 1900-1930, of buildings, persons, scenes, and activities in and around Mena. Photographs pertain to: churches; schools; agriculture, lumbering and other industrial and commercial activity; social, cultural, and recreational activities. Most are mounted; some are captioned or identified with penciled notation on verso of mounting; few are dated.
Scrapbook of the Mena Woman's Literacy Club, which was instrumental in the founding of the Mena (Polk County) Public Library.
Yearbooks of a Polk County, Arkansas, women's literary society.
The photographs include 53 images of the Arkansas Centennial Celebration (1936) in Mena and 97 images of buildings, events, and people in and around Mena from the late nineteenth century into the 1950s. The business records are an itemized account of income and outgo for the photographic studio, rental property, and the antique business.
The collection consists of records relating to the Proft family, and particularly to Paul Otto Proft and his wife, Florence Ellenor Beers Proft. Many Proft family members lived in Mena, Arkansas and Polk County; the collection particularly includes materials related to Mena's Trinity Lutheran Church. Materials include scrapbooks, correspondence, photographs, vital records, memoirs, and genealogical research. Much of the genealogical research was compiled by Helena Beers Buechner.
The scrapbook was created by Bess Wolf to contain mementos of her University experiences, her career as a schoolteacher, and other early experiences. Other materials were inserted into the book throughout her life.
The collection consists of Bess Wolf's scrapbook, three letters written by her parents shortly before their marriage, and a card index of the contents of the scrapbook created at the Fayetteville Public Library.
- Subject: Mena (Ark.) X
- Book clubs (Discussion groups) -- Arkansas 2
- Church buildings -- Arkansas 2
- Socialism and education -- Arkansas 2
- Universities and colleges -- Arkansas 2
- Women -- Arkansas -- Societies and clubs 2
- Arkansas -- Centennial celebrations, etc. 1
- Arkansas -- Photographs 1
- Drug traffic -- United States 1
- Eagleton (Ark.) 1
- Fayetteville (Ark.) 1
- Fort Chaffee (Ark.) 1
- Governmental investigations -- Arkansas 1
- Hunting -- Arkansas 1
- Photographers -- Arkansas 1
- Polk County (Ark.) 1
- School buildings 1
- Schools -- Arkansas 1
- Teachers -- Arkansas 1
- University of Arkansas, Fayetteville – Students 1
- World War, 1939-1945 1 ∧ less
- Commonwealth College (Mena, Ark.) 2
- Mena Woman's Literary Club (Ark.) 2
- Plaster, Eloise Barbara, 1907-2004 2
- Fayetteville Public Library (Fayetteville, Ark.) 1
- Hahn, Del 1
- Hiltebrand, Bert 1
- Kansas City Southern Railway Company 1
- Plaster, L. Oscar, 1898-1978 1
- Proft family 1
- Proft, Florence Ellenor, 1926-2019 1
- Proft, Paul Otto, 1921-1998 1
- Romans, Bess Wolf, 1892-1989 1
- Seal, Barry, 1939-1986 1
- Southern Tenant Farmers' Union 1
- St. John, Richard W. 1
- Sumsky, Lenora 1
- Trinity Lutheran Church (Mena, Ark.) 1
- United States. Central Intelligence Agency 1
- United States. Federal Bureau of Investigation 1 ∧ less