Skip to main content

Morriss M. Henry Papers

 Collection
Identifier: MC 542

  • Staff Only

Scope and Content Note

This collection contains correspondence, speeches, legislative papers, press releases, bills, reference material, photographs, and clippings from Henry's political career.

Dates

  • 1970-1985

Creator

Language of Materials

Materials are in English.

Access Information

Please call (479) 575-8444 or email specoll@uark.edu at least two weeks in advance of your arrival to ensure availability of the materials.

Use Information

No Use Restrictions Apply.

No Interlibrary Loan.

Standard Federal Copyright Laws Apply (U.S. Title 17).

Biographical Note

Morriss M. Henry was born in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1931. He attended Hendrix College in Conway (Faulkner County) and received a Bachelor of Science degree in 1952. Three years later he graduated from the University of Tennessee with a medical degree. Henry trained as an eye specialist at Harvard University and later became head of the Eye Clinic in Bitburg, Germany, while serving in the U.S. Air Force from 1959-1961. After Henry returned to civilian life, he opened an opthalmology clinic in Fayetteville.

Henry began his political career in 1964 when he was elected Washington County coroner. He served for two years and then successfully ran for the Arkansas House of Representatives, serving from 1967-1971. He received his J.D. degree in 1971 from the University of Arkansas and was elected to the Arkansas State Senate that same year, where he remained until his retirement in 1985. Throughout those years, Henry continued his eye clinic in Fayetteville and served as president of the Arkansas Medical Society from 1982-1983.

As a member of the House of Representatives, Henry was a member of the Memorials and Resolutions, State Agencies, Public Welfare, Agriculture, Constitutional Amendments, and Labor committees, and served as Vice-Chairman of the Public Health Committee. During his senate years, he served on the Public Health, Welfare and Labor Committee, City, County, and Local Affairs Committee, and was chairman of the Aging and Legislative Affairs committee.

Henry helped secure legislative approval for the state to purchase the 12,000-acre Hobbs Estate, located south of Beaver Lake, as well as the sixty-five acre Borden property for the Prairie Grove Battlefield State Park. He was also instrumental in setting up state regulations for Emergency Medical Services and sponsoring research funds for improvements in Arkansas wastewater treatment.

Extent

23.25 Linear Feet (47 boxes)

Arrangement of the Papers

Material is arranged and described in three series:

  1. Series 1. Correspondence, Boxes 1-6
  2. Series 1. Subseries 1. 1978
  3. Series 1. Subseries 2. 1979
  4. Series 1. Subseries 3. 1980
  5. Series 1. Subseries 4. 1981
  6. Series 1. Subseries 5. 1982
  7. Series 1. Subseries 6. 1983
  8. Series 2. Reference Files, Boxes 7-36
  9. Series 3. Chronological Files, Boxes 36-47
  10. Series 3. Subseries 1. Legislative Records
  11. Series 3. Subseries 2. University of Arkansas
  12. Series 3. Subseries 3. News Releases
  13. Series 4. Photographs, Box 47

Acquisition Information

Morriss M. Henry of Fayetteville (Washington County), Arkansas, donated his papers to Special Collections on March 7, 1985.

Processing Information

Processed by Susan Lynn Parks; completed in July 1989.

Creator

Source

Title
Morriss M. Henry Papers
Status
Completed
Author
Susan Lynn Parks
Date
1989
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Department Repository

Contact:
University of Arkansas Libraries
365 N. McIlroy Avenue
Fayetteville AR 72701 United States
479-575-5577