Alpha Chi Sigma, Alpha Sigma Chapter Records
Scope and Contents
The collection contains correspondence, membership records, photographs, and publications
Some folders depict ethnic, racial, and gender insensitivity that was once commonplace in American society. Such portrayals were wrong then and are wrong today. While not representing the views of the University of Arkansas today, these records are being presented as they were originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed.
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Access restrictions apply: Materials in Box 7 are restricted.
Please call (479) 575-8444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks in advance of your arrival to ensure availability of the materials.
Conditions Governing Use
No Use Restrictions Apply.
No Interlibrary Loan.
Standard Federal Copyright Laws Apply (U.S. Title 17).
Biographical / Historical
The University of Arkansas has hosted several organizations for chemistry students. The first club, called the Journal Club, was under the direction of Charles Carroll, who was head of the department of Chemistry from 1905-1916. After this club disbanded, a group of chemistry students gathered in 1917 to form a new club. The students met first under the name Chemical Club and then in 1918 adopted the name Gamma Chi. The club lagged for a time when most male students were in military service during World War I; however, the club began to grow after the war. In 1921, Gamma Chi submitted a formal petition to join Alpha Chi Sigma, but this petition was denied. Gamma Chi continued as an independent club. Then in 1927 the club again submitted a petition for a charter to Alpha Chi Sigma. This petition was approved and the Alpha Sigma Chapter began.
Alpha Chi Sigma is a national professional fraternity for people who intend to make chemistry their profession. There are both collegiate and professional chapters. The national fraternity was founded in 1902 at the University of Wisconsin. The objectives of Alpha Chi Sigma include building lasting friendships, advancing the field of chemistry, and aiding members in achieving their professional goals. During the earlier days of the fraternity portrayed in this collection, membership was limited to caucasian males. Pressure came particularly from the collegiate chapters to broaden membership, and eventually, membership was opened to all.
7.75 Linear Feet (7 boxes and 1 folder)
Collection maintains original arrangement from donors.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Alpha Chi Sigma, Alpha Sigma Chapter Records were donated to the Special Collections Department by the Alpha Sigma Chapter through Anne Dierks, President; William Myers, Faculty Advisor; and Don Heacock, Historian of Fayetteville, AR on May 1, 1992.
Landon Grazer, April, 2023
- Heacock, Donald (Donor, Person)
- Myers, William A. (Donor, Person)
- Alpha Chi Sigma, Alpha Sigma Chapter Records
- Landon Grazer
- April 2023
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.
Part of the Special Collections Department Repository
University of Arkansas Libraries
365 N. McIlroy Avenue
Fayetteville AR 72701 United States