Daniel Harris Reynolds Papers
Scope and Content Note
The papers in this collection cover the entire period of General Daniel Harris Reynolds' military service. This collection contains letters and documents of a personal, military or political nature from 1861-1865 and other miscellaneous letters and documents. Also included are details regarding appointments of Daniel Harris Reynolds, a diary kept by Reynolds and a biographical sketch of Reynolds.
- Reynolds, Daniel Harris, 1832-1902 (Person)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Access Restrictions Apply: Original materials in Box 117a are restricted for preservation reasons. Researchers should use access copies in Box 117 when possible.
Please call (479) 575-8444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks in advance of your arrival to ensure availability of the materials.
No Use Restrictions Apply.
No Interlibrary Loan.
Standard Federal Copyright Laws Apply (U.S. Title 17).
Daniel Harris Reynolds began the practice of law in Lake Village, Arkansas, in 1858. He was captain of the "Chicot Rangers", a cavalry company raised in Chicot County early in 1861. This company was ordered to Fort Smith, and there, on June 14, 1861 became part of Company A of the First Arkansas Mounted Rifles. The regiment served in Missouri and Arkansas before being transferred to the Trans-Mississippi Army, to take part in a number of battles. It fought in the battle of Elkhorn, Arkansas, (Pea Ridge), March 7 and 8, 1862. General Reynolds served in the Arkansas State Senate in 1866 and 1867.
0.75 Linear Feet (2 boxes)
Correspondence, diary, biographical sketch, reports, lists, and other material relating to aspects of the life and work of the Arkansas soldier, lawyer, and legislator, Daniel Harris Reynolds, especially as regards his military career during the Civil War, from captain in command of the Chicot Rangers of Co. A, 1st Arkansas Mounted Rifles, 1861, to brigadier general in command of a Confederate brigade, 1864.
Arrangement of the Papers
Material is arranged and described in five series:
- Series 1. Letters and Documents, Personal, Military, Political, 1861-1865
- Series 2. Miscellaneous Letters and Documents
- Series 3. Appointments
- Series 4. Diary kept by D.H. Reynolds, Captain of the Chicot Rangers, from May 25, 1861-June 15, 1865.
- Series 5. Biographical Sketch of D.H. Reynolds
The Daniel Harris Reynolds Papers were donated to the University of Arkansas by Martha H. Williams, Mulberry Plantation, Camden, South Carolina in 1956.
- Daniel Harris Reynolds Papers
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.
- August 15, 2023: Finding aid language was updated by Emily Ward in August 2023 as part of a project to update outdated or harmful description related to slavery or to enslaved persons