Mary Dengler Hudgins Research Files
Scope and Content Note
Correspondence; literary manuscripts; notes; musical scores; lists and bibliographies; newspaper clippings, pamphlets, and other printed material; photographs; scrapbooks; and other materials principally collected but in part created by Hudgins and pertaining or relating to her interests in: Arkansas-related music, literature, composers, writers, and performing artists, especially Laurence Powell, Scott Joplin, Charles Joseph Finger and Fay Templeton; Charles Cutter's Guide to the Hot Springs of Arkansas, 1884...1915; the Federal Writers' Project in Arkansas 1936-1938; Niloak pottery; Troy Wilson Lewis; The Scrapbook of Arkansas Literature and the Arkansas Thomas Cat; and the regulation of commercial solicitation in Hot Springs, Arkansas, circa 1887-1916.
- Majority of material found within 1930-1948, 1965-1975
- Hudgins, Mary Dengler, 1901-1987 (Person)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Please call (479) 575-8444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks in advance of your arrival to ensure availability of the materials.
No Use Restrictions Apply.
No Interlibrary Loan.
Standard Federal Copyright Laws Apply (U.S. Title 17).
Mary Dengler Hudgins (1901-1987), a native of Hot Springs, graduated from the University of Arkansas in 1924. She was a free-lance writer, librarian, and collector of materials pertaining to Hot Springs and to Arkansas. She was especially interested in Arkansas composers and musicians. She was active in the American Association of University Women, the Arkansas Folklore Society, and the Arkansas Historical Association.
10.25 Linear Feet (8 boxes, 5 items, and 1 oversize folder)
Arrangement of the Papers
Materials are arranged in 7 series:
- Series 1. Files Pertaining to Arkansas Music and Composers
- Series 1. Subseries 1. Files Pertaining to Laurence Powell
- Series 1. Subseries 2. Files Pertaining to Scott Joplin
- Series 1. Subseries 3. Files Pertaining to Other Composers and Compositions
- Series 2. Files Pertaining to Arkansas Literature and Authors
- Series 2. Subseries 1. Files Pertaining to The Scrapbook of Arkansas Literature
- Series 2. Subseries 2. Files Pertaining to Cutter's Guidebooks
- Series 2. Subseries 3. Files Pertaining to Charles Joseph Finger
- Series 3. Files Pertaining to Niloak Pottery
- Series 4. Files Pertaining to Troy Wilson Lewis
- Series 5. Files Pertaining to Fay Templeton
- Series 6. Files Pertaining to the Hot Springs "Drumming Evil"
- Series 7. Miscellaneous Files
The Mary Dengler Hudgins Research Files were gifted to the Special Collections Department by Mary Dengler Hudgins of Hot Springs, Arkansas in February 1972; November 1973; August, October, and December 1974; March-May 1975; February and August 1976; and September 1977.
Processed by Samuel Sizer; completed in April 1979.
- Mary Dengler Hudgins Research Files
- Samuel Sizer
- April 1979
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.