Virgil L. Baker Papers
Identifier: MC 702
Scope and Content Note
The Virgil L. Baker Papers include correspondence concerning the New Play Series at the University Theatre, the building of the Fine Arts Complex, and the Department of Speech and Dramatic Art. Along with first and second drafts of several books as well as articles, short stories, and plays, the collection contains Virgil L. Baker's research notes, material for future poems, Unitarian church materials, University of Arkansas materials, clippings, and papers of Lillian Baker.
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Please call (479) 575-8444 or email email@example.com at least two weeks in advance of your arrival to ensure availability of the materials.
No Use Restrictions Apply. No Interlibrary Loan. Standard Federal Copyright Laws Apply (U.S. Title 17).
Virgil L. Baker (1896-1974) was head of the Department of Speech and Dramatic Art at the University of Arkansas from 1929-1952. His wife, Lillian Baker (1898-1978) also worked in the Department of Speech and Dramatic Art in 1936-1937 and 1943-1944.
7.5 Linear Feet (15 boxes)
Arrangement of the Papers
Materials are arranged and described in five series:
- Series 1. Correspondence. Boxes 1-4.
- Series 2. Books, Plays, Short Stories, and Articles. Boxes 5-8.
- Series 2. Subseries 1. Drafts of book Man's Runway to Survival.
- Series 2. Subseries 2. Drafts of books Substance and Flame, Rhetoric for Democratic Living, and Speech in Personal and Public Affairs.
- Series 2. Subseries 3. Plays.
- Series 2. Subseries 4. Other works and royalties.
- Series 3. Research Notes. Boxes 9-12.
- Series 3. Subseries 1. Topical research notes.
- Series 3. Subseries 2. Chapter notes.
- Series 4. University Materials. Boxes 13-14.
- Series 4. Subseries 1. New Play Series, A Sparrow Falls by John Gould Fletcher, and other documents.
- Series 4. Subseries 2. Histories and chronologies of courses, societies, and teachers associated with the Speech department.
- Series 4. Subseries 3. Annual reports, budgets, appointments, and clippings.
- Series 5. Lillian Baker Materials. Box 15.
The Virgil L. Baker Papers were donated to the Special Collections Department by his son, Donald B. Baker of Fayetteville, Arkansas on June 22, 1987.
Processed by Norma Ortiz-Karp; completed in April 1989
- Virgil L. Baker Papers
- Norma Ortiz-Karp
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.