John G. Williams Papers
Scope and Content Note
Materials include the professional papers of John Gilbert Williams. These relate to Williams' work as member of the faculty and an administrator at the University of Arkansas and as an architect and landscape architect. The academic materials include documentation courses taught, committee work, curricula, accreditation, scholarly research and professional affiliations. Extensive records of Williams' work as the Architectural Advisor to the University of Arkansas, helping shape the built environment of the campus, are included. Other materials relate to Williams' work as a design professional both as an architect and landscape architect. These include projects files, drawings, reference materials, photographs and the labeled leather briefcase Williams used professionally.
- circa 1935-2005
- Majority of material found within 1946–1985
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Please call (479) 575-8444 or email email@example.com at least two weeks in advance of your arrival to ensure availability of the materials.
Restricted materials not available to protect privacy. No Interlibrary Loan. Standard Federal Copyright Laws Apply (U.S. Title 17).)
John G. Williams (1915–2008) was an architect, landscape architect, and the founding faculty member of the Department of Architecture at the University of Arkansas. John G. Williams was born April 30, 1915 in Van Buren, Arkansas to Vera Jane Wallace Williams and Charles Bunyan Williams. Williams earned his bachelor’s degree in architecture from Oklahoma Agricultural and Mechanical College after studying engineering at Arkansas Polytechnic College. After graduation he returned to teach both math and drawing at Arkansas Polytechnic College. While in Russellville, he met Faye Millard, and they married in 1941. They had one daughter, Diana Sue. After teaching for 4 years in Oklahoma, Williams began his long association with the University of Arkansas in 1946. Hired as a professor, Williams served as chairman of the Department of Architecture for the next twenty years and continued to teach until his retirement in 1985. His contributions extended far beyond the classroom and included initiating the steps required for the Department of Architecture to earn its full accreditation in 1960. Much of Williams' history in the School of Architecture is chronicled in his 1984 book, The Curious and the Beautiful. On April 11, 2008 Williams died from a bone marrow disease. He is buried at Van Buren Fairview Cemetery.
31 Linear Feet (15 boxes, 13 Oversize Folders)
Arrangement of the Papers
The papers are organized by topic. Folders relating to Williams' book The Curious and the Beautiful have been consolidated. Professional papers remain in their original relative order.
Material is arranged and described in two series:
- I. Professional Papers
- II. Project Records
Materials were donated to Special Collections by John G. Williams of Fayetteville, AR on February 21, 2008. Additional donations were made by Diana Sue Williams in 2012 thru 2018.
Processed by Catherine Wallack; completed in September 2018
- Williams, John G. (John Gilbert), 1915-2008 (Donor, Person)
- Williams, Diana Sue (Donor, Person)
- John G. Williams Papers
- Catherine Wallack
- September 2018
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.
Part of the Special Collections Department Repository
University of Arkansas Libraries
365 N. McIlroy Avenue
Fayetteville AR 72701 United States