Skip to main content

University of Arkansas Division of Information Services Records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MC 496

Scope and Content Note

The collection consists of correspondence, speeches, annual reports, publications, and news clippings created or compiled by the Division of Information.


  • 1944-1987


Language of Materials

Materials are in English.

Access Information

Please call (479) 575-8444 or email at least two weeks in advance of your arrival to ensure availability of the materials.

Use Information

All items in Box 24 are restricted.

No Interlibrary Loan.

Standard Federal Copyright Laws Apply (U.S. Title 17).

Historical Note

Early in the history of the University of Arkansas, news service and publicity duties were handled by instructors of journalism. J. Wainwright Evans, Murray Sheehan, J. Wymond French, and Victor Portman all served as instructors of journalism in the English department of the University and were all tasked by the president of the University with publicizing the institution. When French left the University, President Futrall hired Walter J. Lemke who was charged with organizing a department of journalism and serving as director of the University News Bureau. Lemke was the director of the bureau until that position was separated from the Department of Journalism in 1939, and Sam Schwieger was hired as director. Schwieger was also field manager for the Arkansas Press Association and ran the two organizations as one unit from 1941 until his departure in 1943. Schwieger was succeeded by William J. Good who held the position until the creation of the Division of Information Services in 1958. The Division of Information Services was created with the purpose of controlling the release of University of Arkansas news to the public. The hope was that an organized program of public information would facilitate public understanding and support of the institution. The first Director of the Division of Information Services was Storm Whaley who served for only one year. In 1959, William (Bill) Hughes became the Director and he would serve in that position until 1986. In the 1960s, the university expanded with the incorporation of campuses at Fayetteville, Little Rock, and Pine Bluff. This organizational shift led to the focus of the Division of Information to be split between promoting the Fayetteville campus and promoting the University of Arkansas System as a whole. The Division was responsible for any news which affected multiple campuses or the system as a whole or which originated from system-wide officers such as the President or the Board of Trustees. News which affected only one campus was handled by different on-campus information offices. The Division of Information Services was reverted back to a campus division in the 1980s. In 1989 the division was renamed the Office of University Relations. This office carries on the duties of releasing news and providing information to the public.


29 Linear Feet (24 boxes)

Arrangement of the Papers

Material is arranged and described in four series:

  1. Subject Files
  2. Annual Reports and Presidential Materials
  3. Commencement Materials
  4. Board of Trustees Materials

Acquisition Information

The University of Arkansas Division of Information Services Records were donated to Special Collections, University of Arkansas Libraries in 1984 by the Division of Information Services through Bill Hughes.

Processing Information

Processed by Amy Allen, Heath Robinson, and Kalie Kaitschuck; completed in May 2015.

University of Arkansas Division of Information Services Records
Amy Allen, Heath Robinson, and Kalie Kaitschuck
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Department Repository

University of Arkansas Libraries
365 N. McIlroy Avenue
Fayetteville AR 72701 United States
(479) 575-8444