Skip to main content

University of Arkansas College of Education Records

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MC 163

Scope and Content Note

Collection consists of a speech, articles and reports.


  • 1926-1934


Language of Materials

Materials are in English.

Access Information

Please call (479) 575-8444 or email at least two weeks in advance of your arrival to ensure availability of the materials.

Use Information

No Use Restrictions Apply.

No Interlibrary Loan.

Standard Federal Copyright Laws Apply (U.S. Title 17).

Historical Note

The University of Arkansas has undertaken the education of teachers since its inception in 1871. Teachers were first taught in the Normal Department, which was initially headed by the University President, Noah P. Gates. There were two options for the Normal course. The first option lasted two years while the second option lasted three years. Upon completion of the course, students were granted a L.I. (Licentiate of Instruction) certificate.

The Normal Department was involved with the Preparatory Department or Preparatory School for the purpose of practice teaching. The Preparatory Department was established to educate students who were not ready for college level classes. In 1911, the Preparatory Department was replaced with a Training School, specifically for practice teaching. In the beginning there was limited elementary and high school classes. Additional classes would be added in future years. The high school operated until 1962. The elementary school closed in 1966 with a kindergarten class remaining until the early 1980s.

Many changes took place in the department starting in 1913. The department moved into the newly constructed Peabody Hall, which was funded by a donation from the Peabody Fund. Also in 1913, James R. Jewel became head of the department. Under Jewell’s leadership, the Normal Department evolved into the School of Education, and then in 1916, it became the College of Education. Jewell was appointed the first dean of the newly established College of Education. In addition, the first four year degrees in education were awarded in 1916. Five Bachelor of Science degrees in education were awarded that year. Jewell served as Dean until 1927. Successive deans were as follows: J.O. Creager (1927-1929), Charles E. Prall (1929-1934), Henry G. Hotz (1934-1945), Henry H. Kronenberg (1945-1970), Fred J. Vescolani (1970-1984), John Pulliam (1985-1987), Roderick J. McDavis (1989-1993), Charles Stegman (1995-2000), Reed Greenwood (2001-2009), and Tom E. C. Smith (2010-2013).

The majority of the materials from this collection consist of studies conducted by Joseph R. Gerberich. Gerberich was a professor in the College of Education from 1929-1935.


.5 Linear Feet (1 box)

Arrangement of the Papers

Collection is arranged with a speech and publications list by J.R. Gerberich first followed by articles and reports arranged in alphabetical order.

Acquisition Information

Materials were transferred from Vol Walker Library in 1968.

Processing Information

Processed by Amy Allen; completed in November 2013.

University of Arkansas College of Education Records
Amy Allen
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Department Repository

University of Arkansas Libraries
365 N. McIlroy Avenue
Fayetteville AR 72701 United States
(479) 575-8444