Skip to main content

Southern Forest Experiment Station (Ozark Branch) Collection

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MC 706

  • Staff Only

Scope and Content Note

Scrapbooks and photographs from the Southern Forest Experiment Station, United States Department of Agriculture, Forest Servic.

The two scrapbooks contain mostly clippings. Most of the photographs are mounted on cardboard and were sorted as to category. Some photographs were accompanied by negatives; negatives have been removed to separate storage in Box 10. Many of the photographs are by Clement Mesavage or Ralph A. Neal.

Dates

  • ca 1946-1968

Creator

Language of Materials

Materials are in English.

Access Information

Please call (479) 575-8444 or email specoll@uark.edu at least two weeks in advance of your arrival to ensure availability of the materials.

Use Information

No use restrictions apply.

No Interlibrary Loan.

Standard Federal Copyright Laws Apply (U.S. Title 17).

Biographical Note

The Ozark Branch of the Southern Forest Experiment Station was opened in the post office building of Harrison (Boone County), Arkansas, in 1946. Its purpose was to research forest management, including intensive growing of trees for market, fire protection, forest grazing, wildlife, and erosion control in the mixed upland hardwood forests of northern Arkansas. Research was done at the Sylamore Experimental Forest in Stone County near Mountain View and the Henry R. Koen Experimental Forest in Newton County near Jasper. In 1971 a silviculture and hydrology laboratory was opened at the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville. Clement Mesavage was research center leader from 1947 to 1962, then did forest measurement from 1963 to 1970.

Extent

6 Linear Feet (10 boxes)

Arrangement of the Papers

The collection is arranged into four series:
  1. Series 1. Scrapbooks (Box 1)
  2. Series 2. Panoramic views of forest (Box 2 - Box 3, Folder 1)
  3. Series 3. Other photographs (Box 3, Folder 2 - Box 9)
  4. Series 4. Negatives (Box 10)

Acquisition Information

The Southern Forest Experiment Station (Ozark Branch) Collection was donated to the Special Collections Department by Edwin R. Lawson in July 1986.

Processing Information

Processed by Nan Lawler; completed in January 1992
Title
Southern Forest Experiment Station (Ozark Branch) Collection
Status
Completed
Author
Nan Lawler
Date
January 1992
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Department Repository

Contact:
University of Arkansas Libraries
365 N. McIlroy Avenue
Fayetteville AR 72701 United States
479-575-5577