Skip to main content

University of Arkansas University Club Records

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MC 147

Scope and Content Note

Materials include correspondence, constitutions, reports, meeting minutes, membership lists, entertainment schedules and invitations.

Dates

  • Creation: 1913-1963

Creator

Language of Materials

Materials are in English.

Access Information

Please call (479) 575-8444 or email specoll@uark.edu at least two weeks in advance of your arrival to ensure availability of the materials.

Use Information

No Use Restrictions Apply.

No Interlibrary Loan.

Standard Federal Copyright Laws Apply (U.S. Title 17).

Historical Note

The University Club was a social club for faculty and administrators of the University of Arkansas along with their spouses. The club began just after World War I with the name University of Arkansas Campus Club. In 1919, the Board of Trustees approved a structure to be built. The University donated the land and surplus materials, which were obtained from tearing down army barracks that had previously resided on campus. The Campus Club sold stock certificates for $25 a piece with the money going toward a building fund. The building, a two story stucco structure located north of Agriculture Hall was constructed mainly by faculty members. Additional building materials and furnishings were paid for from the stock purchases. The stock certificates were all eventually retired. The building was finished in 1921. The name changed to the University Club in 1922.

The University owned the building and provided basic utilities while the club purchased and maintained the furnishings, provided janitor service and later provided telephone service. The club mainly used the second floor, which consisted of a meeting room, billiard room, and combined kitchen and serving room, though the kitchen was not large enough to prepare and serve full meals to the club. The first floor was used for different purposes over the years, including a cafeteria, office for Veterans Services, and dorm rooms. In the beginning, dues for the club were $10. During the depression years, dues were decreased to $6. In 1947, dues were raised to $10 for married couples and $7 for singles. The club was administered by an elected Board of Governors, a president, secretary, treasurer and multiple committees. The club did hold business meetings annually and when special business needed to be discussed, but the chief purpose of the club was entertainment and social interaction. The club rooms were available for members to informally gather at any time. Formal entertainments were arranged about twice a month. Entertainments consisted of a variety of different types, including dinners, dances, picnics, bridge, theatrics, and holiday celebrations.

As the University grew, the University Club became more inactive. In later years, the club was also referred to as the Faculty Club, but the official name remained unchanged. There is still mention of the University Club as late as the 1970s, but the club eventually died out completely. Prior to 1922 a group named University Club already existed on campus. This group consisted of only women officially connected to the University or wives of faculty or administrators of the University. In 1922, the Campus Club asked to use the name University Club in keeping with other university faculty clubs. The Campus Club changed its name to the University Club, and the University Club changed its name to the University Women’s Club. The University Club and the University Women’s Club remained on friendly terms, and the University Women’s Club frequently used the University Club building for meetings. The University Women’s Club held monthly meetings. The club members participated in service projects and social functions. As of 2011, a University Women’s Club was still in existence.

Extent

1 Linear Feet (1 box)

Arrangement of the Papers

Materials are divided by type of material beginning with correspondence followed by official materials, including constitutions, Board of Directors and other officers materials, committee reports, meeting minutes, and financial materials. The next grouping contains materials on entertainment, including event schedules and invitations. The last three files in the collection are record books from the University Women's Club.

Acquisition Information

The University of Arkansas University Club Records were donated to the Special Collections Department, University of Arkansas Libraries, on June 10, 1972 by Professor George Holcombe of Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Processing Information

Processed by Amy Allen; completed in November 2011.

Source

Title
University of Arkansas University Club Records
Status
Completed
Author
Amy Allen
Date
2011
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Department Repository

Contact:
University of Arkansas Libraries
365 N. McIlroy Avenue
Fayetteville AR 72701 United States
(479) 575-8444