Skip to main content

University of Arkansas College of Education Faculty Records

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MC 130

Scope and Content Note

Materials consist of meeting minutes, correspondance, reports, and general materials.


  • 1914-1963


Language of Materials

Materials are in English.

Access Information

Please call (479) 575-8444 or email at least two weeks in advance of your arrival to ensure availability of the materials.

Use Information

No Use Restrictions Apply.

No Interlibrary Loan.

Standard Federal Copyright Laws Apply (U.S. Title 17).

Historical Note

The University of Arkansas has undertaken the education of teachers since its inception in 1871. Teachers were first taught in the Normal Department, which was initially headed by the University President, Noah P. Gates. There were two options for the Normal course. The first option lasted two years while the second option lasted three years. Upon completion of the course, students were granted a L.I. (Licentiate of Instruction) certificate.

The Normal Department was involved with the Preparatory Department or Preparatory School for the purpose of practice teaching. The Preparatory Department was established to educate students who were not ready for college level classes. In 1911, the Preparatory Department was replaced with a Training School, specifically for practice teaching. In the beginning there were limited elementary and high school classes. Additional classes would be added in future years. The high school operated until 1962. The elementary school closed in 1966 with a kindergarten class remaining until the early 1980s.

Many changes took place in the department starting in 1913. The department moved into the newly constructed Peabody Hall, which was funded by a donation from the Peabody Fund. Also in 1913, James R. Jewel became head of the department. Under Jewell’s leadership, the Normal Department evolved into the School of Education, and then in 1916, it became the College of Education. Jewell was appointed the first dean of the newly established College of Education. In addition, the first four year degrees in education were awarded in 1916. Five Bachelor of Science degrees in education were awarded that year. Jewell served as Dean until 1927. Successive deans were as follows: J.O. Creager (1927-1929), Charles Prall (1929-1934), Henry G. Hotz (1934-1945), Henry H. Kronenberg (1945-1970), Fred J. Vescolani (1970-1984), John Pulliam (1985-1987), Roderick J. McDavis (1989-1993), Charles Stegman (1995-2000), Reed Greenwood (2001-2009), and Tom E. C. Smith (2010-2013).

This collection consists of two bound volumes of meeting minutes from faculty meetings at the College of Education along with supplemental folders. The folders consist of correspondence, curriculum changes, lists of committees and committee members, attendance records, catalogue changes, and graduation approval lists. Also included is correspondence from the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education notifying the University of Arkansas Department of Education of their first approval for accreditation in Teacher Education up to the doctorate level in 1958.


.5 Linear Feet (1 box)

Arrangement of the Papers

Materials are arranged with meeting minute books first followed by supporting materials arranged chronologically.

Acquisition Information

The University of Arkansas College of Education Faculty Records were donated to the Special Collections Department, University of Arkansas Libraries on August 4, 1971 by College of Education Office of the Dean.

Processing Information

Processed by Amy Allen and Janelle Pacheco; completed in November 2013.

University of Arkansas College of Education Faculty Records
Amy Allen and Janelle Pacheco
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Department Repository

University of Arkansas Libraries
365 N. McIlroy Avenue
Fayetteville AR 72701 United States
(479) 575-8444