University of Arkansas Coordinator of New Construction Materials
Scope and Content Note
Materials consist of reproductions of campus building plan drawings and University of Arkansas Bulletin articles.
- University of Arkansas, Fayetteville (Corporate Entity)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Please call (479) 575-8444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks in advance of your arrival to ensure availability of the materials.
No Use Restrictions Apply.
No Interlibrary Loan.
Standard Federal Copyright Laws Apply (U.S. Title 17).
In the early days of the University there was no master building plan. The first master building plan was developed in 1925 by Jamieson and Spearl, an architectural firm from St. Louis, Missouri. This plan called for the demolition of every building then in use, including Old Main. All buildings would be built in the collegiate gothic style. This plan governed style and placement of new buildings for more than a decade. Buildings constructed under this plan include Engineering Hall, Ozark Hall, Vol Walker Hall, Gibson Hall, Gregson Hall, Chemistry Building, Agriculture Building, Home Economics Building, Greek Theater, Field House, and Football Stadium.
In 1946, architecture professor John G. Williams began teaching at the University of Arkansas. He became involved in campus planning, and the campus buildings began to take on a more modern feel. Williams was involved in campus planning in different roles through the Campus Buildings and Grounds Committee, later the Campus Planning and Landscape Committee and as an Architectural Advisor. Williams was asked to find a new campus planner in the 1950s. He chose James Ward, a professor in the Planning and Landscape Department of Yale University.
In the 1960s the Facilities Planning Office was created under President Mullins. This office existed separate from the Physical Plant. Another campus plan was created during this period, this time by Hamilton-Butt Associates. In the 1970s when the University became a state wide system, the Facilities Planning Office was moved to Little Rock. Other campus wide plans for building and landscaping which have been created over the years include the Arnold Butt Plans and the Edward D. Stone Jr. Plan. The latest master plan was created in 1998 by Sasaki Associates of Boston and San Francisco.
In the 21st Century, building and campus planning for the Fayetteville campus is directed by the Facilities Management Planning Group. The Planning Group is involved with new buildings, renovation, restoration, and demolition in addition to landscape, outdoor spaces, pedestrian areas and transportation planning.
1.3 Linear Feet (1 box)
Arrangement of the Papers
Materials are arranged with drawing reproductions followed by bulletins.
The University of Arkansas Coordinator of New Construction Materials were donated to the Special Collections Department, University of Arkansas Libraries on December 3-6, 1971 by Minor Wallace.
Processed by Amy Allen and Alexsis Bell; completed in May 2012.
- University of Arkansas Coordinator of New Construction Materials
- Amy Allen and Alexsis Bell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.