University of Arkansas Library Floor Plans
Scope and Content Note
Materials consists of 5 floor plan drawings (15" x 20") of Mullins Library.
- University of Arkansas, Fayetteville. Libraries (Corporate Entity)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Please call (479) 575-8444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks in advance of your arrival to ensure availability of the materials.
No Use Restrictions Apply.
No Interlibrary Loan.
Standard Federal Copyright Laws Apply (U.S. Title 17).
The first library on the University of Arkansas campus (then named Arkansas Industrial University) was located in one room of the temporary building constructed in 1872. In 1873, the library consisted of 137 books. When Old Main opened in 1875, the library moved to a room on second floor of that building. A reading room was open for two to three hours a day, and the library was maintained by students. Beginning in 1895, a woman was appointed each year to serve as the full-time librarian. Seven women served as librarian over the next 19 years. They were Julia A. Garside, Susie Spencer, Ada Pace, Mrs. Neil Carothers, Stella R. Lawrence, Martha Brownfield, and Mary Austin. With a full-time librarian, the reading room hours increased to approximately eight hours a day. In 1914, the university appointed Julia Vaulx, the first professional librarian. The library collection was moved to a south room on the first floor of Old Main. After a few years, the library expanded to the room on the floor above and the basement below. In 1922, the library began to open some evening hours (7:30 to 9:30) for men only. By the 1930’s there were eight full-time library assistants. In 1933, plans began for a library building. Vol Walker Library was opened on September 16, 1935. At this time Julia Vaulx retired and was succeeded by the associate librarian Miss Jim P. Mathews, who retired five years later. In 1940, Marvin A. Miller was appointed head of the library and served in that position until 1971. In 1948, Miller began asking for more space in the library. In 1966, construction began on a new library building. The new library building was opened for the fall semester of 1968. The new building not only accommodated more books, but also more individual study spaces. The library was named for David Wiley Mullins in 1975. An addition to Mullins library was completed in 1997.
1.3 Linear Feet (1 box)
Arrangement of the Papers
Drawings are arranged by floor level in one box.
The University of Arkansas Library Floor Plans were donated to the Special Collections Department, University of Arkansas Libraries on November 18, 1969 by Jim Clark.
Processed by Amy Allen and Alexsis Bell; completed in March 2012.
- University of Arkansas Library Floor Plans
- Amy Allen and Alexsis Bell;
- March 2012
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.