Skip to main content

Irven D. McDaniel Materials

 Collection
Identifier: MC 1920

  • Staff Only

Scope and Content Note

The collection consists of blueprints of two residential projects with art moderne characteristics. The A.A. Billings Residence of Malvern, Hot Spring County, Arkansas, n.d. and the John Cole Residence of Malvern, Hot Spring County, Arkansas, n.d. are included.

Dates

  • ca. 1935

Creator

Language of Materials

Materials are in English.

Access Information

Please call (479) 575-8444 or email specoll@uark.edu at least two weeks in advance of your arrival to ensure availability of the materials.

Use Information

No Use Restrictions Apply.

No Interlibrary Loan.

Standard Federal Copyright Laws Apply (U.S. Title 17).

Biographical Note

Irven Donald McDaniel was an architect who practiced in Hot Springs, Garland County, Arkansas much of his career. McDaniel was born April 14, 1894 in Holland, Faulkner County, Arkansas. He practiced in Pine Bluff, Jefferson County, Arkansas in the early 1920s. In 1922, he formed a professional partnership, Seig and McDaniel Architects, with Richard L. Seig in Memphis, Tennessee. The firm is credited with designing Walrow, a well-known Tudor revival mansion and the Almadura Apartment Building both in Memphis. McDaniel was practicing in Hot Springs by 1930, he designed a number of buildings including the Perry Plaza Court, now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Irven married Arkansan Camille Lewis in 1920. Together, the couple had four children Virginia, Caldwell, Irven and Daly. Their third child, Irven Granger McDaniel (1923-1978) also was an architect. During World War II, Irven G. McDaniel served as a pilot with the Royal Air Force and was taken as a prisoner of war. Upon his return to the United States, Irven G. practiced architecture in Hot Springs, designing the historically significant Van Lyell House and the Jack Tar Hotel and Bathhouse (AKA Garland Towers). Irven D. McDaniel died on March 16. 1960. He is buried in Greenwood Cemetery, Garland County Arkansas.

Extent

1.5 Linear Feet (1 OV folder)

Arrangement of the Papers

Materials are arranged by project in one oversize folder.

Acquisition Information

The Irven D. McDaniel Materials, originally part of the Charlie Cole Chaffin Papers MC 1894, were donated to Special Collections, University of Arkansas Libraries, on November 5, 2010, by Charlie Cole Chaffin of Benton, Arkansas.

Processing Information

Processed by Catherine Wallack; completed in November 2012.
Title
Irven D. McDaniel Materials
Status
Completed
Author
Catherine Wallack
Date
November 2012
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Department Repository

Contact:
University of Arkansas Libraries
365 N. McIlroy Avenue
Fayetteville AR 72701 United States
479-575-5577